February 1, 2009

Trader Joe's

The Mrs. and I have lived in Oregon for over a year now and we are starting to embrace organic food. We live around a lot of hippies and they freakin' love organic stuff. They even have their own organic grocery stores around here. From our experience, organic grocery stores=overpriced goods. Then Angie started shopping at Trader Joe's and raving about how great it was. I've been reluctant to go there because it's a store for two types of people: 1) hippies and 2) yuppies who think they're hippies. Well, I went and became a convert.


Everything there is about the same price as Albertson's, and some of the weird stuff there is actually pretty good. The pita chips (with cinnamon and sugar) and pumpkin butter are excellent, as well as the produce. I can't wait to try some of the other random they have. Does that make us hippies?

6 comments:

stephschmidt said...

So which group are you: hippies or yuppies who think they're hippies? :) I think those chips sound delicious. Maybe you'll have to bring some on our upcoming trip....

Kelly Stoddart said...

Well that would make us hippies or yuppies, and I really don't think that is the case. I don't know. We loved Trader Joes that was one of my most favorite places to go in Oregon. Try the roasted pepper tomato soup it's amazing!! Also we loved the tomato and pesto cream cheese Yum! Yum!

Heather said...

Yes. The answer is yes.
:)

Michelle said...

I'm so glad you ventured in and liked it! I second the vote for the Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Soup - get some blue corn tortilla chips to dip in it and you've got a Checketts' staple dinner!

party of four said...

I forced Steven to go to Trader Joe's with me the other day...despite his claims that they are more expensive (which they totally aren't). I am happy to report that nothing we bought killed him. We even went through the oober-healthy loaf of bread(the polar opposite of his beloved buttermilk whatever, super-bad-for-you-bread) at lightning speed. I'm glad you boys are coming around. Good job Angie :) Try the red pepper spread...it's amazing on everything.

Anonymous said...

Hippies? Far from it! Trader Joe's is one of our favorite places, too. But then we live in San Francisco (aka Hippie Nirvana), so I guess we're *supposed* to like that kind of thing! Anyways, Trader Joes's is a wicked awesome place - the food is reasonably priced and I highly recommend their pre-made pizza dough. Really good eats, there.