August 21, 2010

Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)

This past weekend, I went on the young men's Super Adventure to the southern Oregon coast while Ang and Drew headed for the mountains of Utah. Hence, the name of this blog post (which is also the name of a Journey song. You know the one with the chorus that goes, "Someday, love will find you..."). Yep, that one. I'm so DAN clever.
Anyway, I joined up with them for some camping, kayaking, football on the beach, and other male bonding stuff. It was a blast!
We were so close to the Redwoods in California. I have never seen them before and we didn't have permission to take the youth out of state, so we couldn't do that for an activity. So what did I do? I left them suckas behind and went anyway. I got up early Saturday morning (while everyone else was still fast asleep) and took another adult leader with me and headed for Cali. Even though we were down in the Redwoods for roughly an hour, I'm still amazed by what I was able to see. You can't really appreciate how old and majestic these trees are until you see them in person. I recommend every one to go see these lions of the tree family. I can't wait to take my family back down there and share the experience with them!
Anyway, here are some pics (taken with the camera on my BlackBerry) from my excursion.

This tree is so huge! And it's not even the biggest one.

Me standing alongside a fallen tree. I swear I didn't do it.

Mr. Ordway and I had a fun time.

I wonder if Chuck Norris had a hand in knocking this one down.

This tree is ready for it's close up.

The Smith River located in Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park. The tall, dark and handsome trees on the right are Redwoods.

These things are so tall! In other words, not only are they big, but they are BIG.

As we were all headed back to Eugene, we stopped at a "secret beach" that Gavin showed us along Hwy 101. For some reason, this beach reminded me of The Goonies. Maybe it was the rocks, the beach, the youth running around, or the fact that it was filmed in Oregon.

"Goonies never say die!" (and neither do Redwood trees)

3 comments:

stephschmidt said...

Dan, you're hilarious! Your posts make me laugh :) I haven't been to the Redwoods, but I've heard it's an amazing place to visit! Maybe next time I'm in OR we can take a jaunt that way; it looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Journey, a pun in the first paragraph, AND a Goonies reference!?!? Dan, you are a literary GENIUS!

Valeri said...

Yes, the Redwoods truly are amazing. I will be back there soon enough, and you, Ang and Drew can come visit us any time!