March 26, 2008

Another Germany Flashback

Here's another flashback of our trip to Germany. I'm not posting all of my entries because everyone is probably bored enough of this. In fact, I'll probably post one or two more of these later and call it good.

Enjoy!

Wed, March 7

-We drove to Frankfurt today to go to the temple and do some sightseeing. On you way there, we encountered a "stau" (traffic jam), which made our 1 1/2 hour trip 2 1/2 hours instead. While waiting in traffic, the radio plays "I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelly and Angie starts crying because she thinks its the most beautiful song (actually, she hates this song. I have no idea why).

-There are cigarette vending machines all over the place. They're on just about every street corner. I don't think they have a minimum age requirement for smoking, which explains why everybody smokes out here. Even the babies.

-The Frankfurt Temple is hidden within a neighborhood, so you don't see it until you're right in front of it. I like this temple. It looks sorta like the Chicago Temple. Anyway, we asked the temple workers if there was anything that needed to be done, so we did baptisms. Valeri and Ang weren't prepared for this, so their makeup washed off and they didn't have their hairdryer, neither. But they don't need that stuff. My wife is hott!

-After that, we decided to drive downtown to walk around and see the sights. After driving around for about a half hour and not finding a place to park, we decided to just go home. We weren't too impressed, anyway.

-FYI, the cities of Munich and Frankfurt were left in ruins after WWII. Frankfurt decided to tear down and start fresh, while Munich chose to restore. In other words, Frankfurt looks like a U.S. city and Munich kicks it old school, Duetchland style!

-For dinner, Valeri, Ang and I decide to go to an Italian restaurant called Pizzeria Anna, named after Kent and Valeri's first landlord out here (can you believe it? Italian food in Germany! This country also has Chinese and Mexican food, too! Who knew?). Anna is a real Italian, so she makes authentic Italian food. Valeri and Ang split a pizza while I throw down a calzone that's as big as my head. In addition to our food being good, it was cheap, too. Everything here (except the steaks) is under 10 euro. They'll even light a candle on your table.

-Ang and Valeri like it when I talk in a German accent. Just a little something I've picked up while being out here (to be honest, the accent is fake and is only busted out once in a while to spice up conversation).

Ang and I at the Heidelberg castle. The place looked much better before this picture was taken (200 years before, as a matter of fact).


This picture was taken down an alley into one of the main shopping streets in Baden-Baden. We ate at that restaurant located down the way (the green building).




In Baden-Baden, in a tree, off the beaten path (I like this one).
The bakery in Meisenbach that was around the corner from where we were staying. This place had some awesome pasteries and candy. I could live in this place (I don't think Ang would approve, sadly).

1 comment:

Deanne Hill said...

Hey Ang! I found your blog through your sister's and thought I'd say, "howdy!" Your trip to Germany looks amazing! It's so nice to see pics of you guys!
Deanne