March 23, 2008

Flashback: Germany

One year ago this month, Angie and I went to Germany to visit her parents (who were out there temporarily for work). I bring this up because this was such an incredible trip and it's always fun to recollect on vacations such as this one. I kept what I called a "Euro Road Trip Blog-thingy" and felt it appropriate to post some of its entries and pictures. I'll post one entry per blog post so I don't overwhelm anyone and/or bore them to tears.

Enjoy!

Friday, March 2nd


-As we boarded our plane to Dallas, we sat in the second to last row. Since our flight is headed to Texas, we were priviledged to have a few native Texans sitting right behind us. These guys are loud. They're talking about thinks I'd expect loud Texans to talk about: hunting and war. Did I mention they were loud? Their accents are cool. Sitting by them was totally worth it when I heard one of them say "git r done" in his loud, southern accent. Good times, but not the good times I would want to experience again.

-Hanging out in the DFW (that's Dallas Fort Worth airport for all y'all suckas who don't know) was a better experience than I thought. We were only there for about an hour and a half. WHile there, we decided that food was to be eaten and it was to be eaten by us. We needed something fast, but we didn't want Mickey D's. Luckily, we found a bbq place! I love bbq, especially bbq that doesn't suck. This place had Texas bbq written all over it. Our smoked turkey sandwiches rocked. Next time you're at the DFW, go to Cousin's BBQ. It will not dissappoint. And if it does, blame Ang.

-So, I've seen two mullets here. And these were good ones. Older guys with their Mississippi Mud Flaps hanging a little past the shoulders. I've also seen older guys wearing suits with cowboy hats. Classy!

-We board our plane for Frankfurt and our plane is huge. This plane devours other planes with its bigness. It's a 777, or as Ang would say, a 2-5-2 (referring to the number of seats in each aisle). Since we're both functioning on about 4 hours of sleep, we figure this nine-hour journey is the perfect time to catch up on sleep and be well rested for the morning in Germany(although I haven't been able to sleep on a plane before).

-About five hours have passed and neither of us can sleep. I've tried to bore myself to sleep by listening to the talk radio stations that AA provides, but I kept finding myself surprisingly intrigued by such topics as the Chinese stock market and the strategies of the National Interior Design Association. Btw, I'm listening the the Japanese rock station while Pants rocks the crossword puzzles.

-Why do we fly American Airlines? Because we're Americans, that's why.

-We get out of the airport and head on our way to the 'rents place. The countryside is beautiful! It's full of little villages with old churches in the middle and an occasional castle. I feel like breakdancing in excitement.

-We arrive at Kent and Mama Stoddart's place. Ang and I like it, but I think John Hancey will prefer to sleep in the car. The doorways are about 6'2 in height and he'll have to crouch down to go up and down the stairs. Indeed, he will feel like Buddy the Elf while at the North Pole. Good luck, John.

Here's a flattering picture of me in Deutchland typing an entry of this Euro blog.

Here's Angie's parent's place in which we stayed.

2 comments:

stephschmidt said...

Wow, I can't believe it's been a year since you guys were in Germany! Time sure does fly by! What a fun trip you had!

Weavers said...

That's funny you mentioned that BBQ place in the ariport. I've heard about that place from a lot of different people. My brother lives in Dallas and has told us about it several times and a lot of flights stop there on the way to SLC so our friends hit it too. Looks like we've been missin out.

We're glad you're blogging. We think you're funny.

(btw-this is sara)